Eastern Market and scoping out the Capitol


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Eastern Market was great. It didn't have heaps in terms of fresh fruit and veg, but there was a flea market and we bought lots of prints and photos of DC and its surrounds. I also met a photographer there who travels the world to take photos and has some prints up in the Smithsonian Museums which was pretty cool.


My roast beef sandwich...mmm



After the market, we walked home and stopped by Capitol Hill to scope out where it was that I was actually working. And this is my building - the CHOB on the corner of First and Independence.



The US Capitol. It marks the very centre of DC and I have come to know the building quite well as I've had to give tours of it to my Congressman's constituents...I know, it must be odd for them to be given a tour by an Aussie.

The building that I work in is on the right in this photo, but whenever I have to walk across to the Capitol, I actually don't have to go outside in the cold. There's a series of tunnels underneath that connects all the House and Senate Office buildings, the Library of Congress and the Capitol Building
We also stopped by the Botanical Gardens which was really quite nice.



Some of the plants that caught my eye

This wasteland is actually their rose garden. Unfortunately it's winter, so no roses, but you get a nice view of the Smithsonian Museum of Native American History.
Inside the greenhouse, they had miniature replicas of famous Washington landmarks made out of natural materials like bark, twigs and branches. It was really quite amazing.

The Capitol
The Botanical Gardens
The Smithsonian Castle
The Lincoln Memorial...
with a teeny-tiny Lincoln inside!
The White House


0 Responses to “Eastern Market and scoping out the Capitol”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 




old days